Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Beginning of the End

Experiencing Chicago During My Summer Internship


Cliche, yes. Corny, I suppose the title is that as well. But I honestly couldn't think of anything more witty at the moment, and it really is fitting. I am a SENIOR! I can hardly believe it. The price of tuition curbs any urges I may feel to throw away my nice GPA and stay another semester, and so alas, I will be graduating in 9 short months. Then it is on to the real world for me, but it's not like I didn't have a taste of that already this summer...
Remember that internship I got during the last semester I updated my blog? Since I have three internships just AT THIS MOMENT, it can be hard for ME to even remember sometimes what I'm involved in and what I'm not, so I'll enlighten you with a recap. At the end of the school year in May, I was gearing up to head to Chicago and live on my own, in my very first apartment, and explore the world of marketing through an internship at Medix Staffing Solutions. That was the internship that was offered to me through our WONDERFUL network of alumni at Ripon College; the CEO and President of the company is a Ripon College alum (as well as an alum of the Communication Department). Boy did I get more than I bargained for.... in a good way. I soon came to find that this blossoming company, with already 9 branches nationwide and a TON more expected in the next few years, had no marketing division to speak of. That was essentially my task. I apparently did SOMETHING right, because I am currently still working as their Marketing Coordinator (and basically, their entire marketing department in general) from the comfort of my own dorm room. And the best part is, I have a position available there for after I graduate... talk about a load off of my senior year!
Except while simultaneously heading up Medix's marketing department, I still have those other two internships, two positions in my sorority, yadayada on top of being a full-time student.... MORE than enough to keep me busy. But I promise I will try my best to devote ample time to tantalizing the blog readers with all of the wonderful things Ripon College is up to these days! :-)
Now that I've caught you up to speed about where I've been these past few months, and what I've got going on this semester, I'll move on to the events going on this week. We have a recruitment event for my sorority on Wednesday; it will be the first of the year, and I have to admit I am pretty excited to meet the wonderful first-year women Ripon has brought to the campus! Greek life in general is definitely on a high right now at Ripon; we just finished our first ever "Greek Week," which involved the participation of all the Greek groups on campus. It was great to see everyone engaging in friendly competition for a good cause (raising money for the Boys and Girls Club of Berlin) while also uniting as a strong force on campus. The week turned out to be a huge success, and I'm sure many people will be looking forward to it again as an annual event! Another exciting development for Greeks is the blossoming of our newest sorority on campus; over the past few years, girls have been working hard to get another Greek group to campus, and they have been more than successful. Seeing the newest sorority's spirit, enthusiasm, and dedication over the Greek Week, and the past few years in general, really shows that they are here in full force.
Outside of the Greek world, I am thoroughly looking forward to the impending fall sports season at Ripon. Many of the sports are already strides into the season, but this week is full of conference and home games... I am particularly excited for the first home football game of the year on Saturday against Lake Forrest...

Basically, with everyone back on campus, classes in full swing, and PLENTY to do, I will have no shortage of material to talk about... it will just be a matter of finding the time to get it on here!

No comments: