Thursday, March 27, 2008

Alumni, Alumni, Alumni

This weekend, our campus will be buzzing with alumni, as it is our biannual alumni board meeting this weekend. First off, after class today, I am attending an alumni seminar put on by the Communication department. A couple times a month, a Ripon College Communication department alum will come back and deliver a seminar to the department. They will fill us in on what they've been up to, what they've learned in the real world, what they're doing with their communication degree, etc. They are always very helpful tips. And more times than not, they come with opportunities for students for potential jobs and internships. That's how I snagged my amazing summer internship; at one alumni seminar, the CEO of a company offered interviews for a summer internship, and TADA! That is one thing that is unparalleled here at Ripon... our alumni are soooo willing to give back and help current students, it's crazy. I know that one day when I'm successful, I won't forget to come back and do the same thing.
Tonight is exceptionally busy for me, because after that, I have another amazing opportunity. The author Justin Cronin is visiting campus, and I was one of a few students invited to eat dinner with him as a reception at a nice restaurant tonight. Tomorrow morning, I also get the opportunity to meet with him and have all of my questions about writing answered; as a person extremely interested and serious about my writing, this is an exceptional opportunity.
The rest of the weekend, I will spend with alumni as well. I am one of four students elected to the Alumni Board of Directors. They meet twice a year and brainstorm helpful ways to benefit the college, both alumni and current students alike. The meetings last two days, which may seem boring, but it is so interesting to meet the people who went to school here before me and compare stories. On top of that, being on the alumni board has given me the opportunity to know what's going on around campus; I hear about plans and renovations when they first surface. I also have the chance to speak on behalf of my peers and have my concerns heard by the President of the College, Dean, and many other important figures.
The next few days promise to be very hectic and busy, but I will undoubtedly be making amazing connections and receiving valuable input; that makes it more than worth sacrificing a bit of my free time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?